After receiving first prize in virtuosity at the Geneva Conservatory, François Guye perfected his skills with André Navarra for three years in Detmold (Germany). He has won numerous awards, including first prize at the Vienna Competition and first prize at the Geneva Competition. He met Pierre Fournier in 1978 and attended his master classes before studying alongside him. A true friendship was born with this great master; today he plays his cello, a Miremont from 1879.
François Guye shows a great love for chamber music. He has often played with the Sine Nomine Quartet and the Melos Quartet, and for many years he collaborated with violinist Raphaël Oleg and pianist Gérard Wyss in the WOG trio. Additionally, he is a founding member of the Schumann Quartet, a group that is emerging as one of the best of the moment.
In addition to these numerous chamber ensembles, he has played with the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, the Frankfurt Radio Orchestra, the Orchestre National Bordeaux Aquitaine and the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, under the direction of conductors such as Armin Jordan, Horst Stein, Lovro von Matacic and Rudolf Barchai. Both the press and the public have praised his performances of Bach’s cello suites and Henri Dutilleux’s concerto for cello and orchestra Tout un monde lointain.
François Guye gives many summer courses and masterclasses. He is solo cello of the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande and cello teacher at the Haute Ecole de Musique de Genève.
Premier prix Concours de Vienne - Vienna / Austria
1979 | Premier prix Concours International d’Exécution Musicale de Genève. - Geneva / Switzerland
Second prix Concours de Prague - Prague / Czech Republic
- | Wiener Symphoniker Soliste - Vienna / Austria
- | Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra Soliste - Frankfurt / Germany
- | Orchestre de chambre de Lausanne Soliste - Lausanne / Switzerland
- | Orchestre National Bordeaux-Aquitaine Soliste - Bordeaux / France
- | Orchestre de la Suisse Romande Violoncelle solo 1979 - 2017 - Geneva / Switzerland
- | Trio WOG
- | Quatuor Melos - Stuttgart / Germany
- | Quatuor Sine Nomine - Lausanne / Switzerland
- | Quatuor Terpsycordes - Geneva / Switzerland
- | Tokyo String Quartet
- | Quatuor Schumann Founding member
Hochschule für Musik - Detmold / Allemagne
2009 | Cello - François Guye
- 2017 Haute école de musique de Genève-Neuchâtel - Genève / Suisse
- | Masterclass Seiji Ozawa International Academy Switzerland - Rolle / Suisse
2018 | Festival des Haudères - Haudères - Switzerland
Festival des Arcs - Bourg-Saint-Maurice - France
2017 | Gaia Festival - Geneva - Switzerland
2018 | Concerts J.S. Bach de Lutry - Lutry - Switzerland
2016 | Festival Musique & Neige - Les Diablerets - Switzerland
Festival Sine Nomine - Lausanne - Switzerland
Brahms, String Sextets. Quatuor Sine Nomine, Guye, Pache
Schumann: Piano Concerto, Op. 54 & Brahms: Concerto for Violin and Cello, Op. 102
Schumann & Brahms